BUS 355 – Digital Marketing: Tuscan Wine & Wineries
Discipline(s): Business & Marketing, Communication & Journalism, Food Studies
Available: summer session two 2023
Instructor: Jacopo Cossater, M.A., Thomas Brownlees, M.Sc.
Description This course offers an overview of the most important digital marketing theories and techniques as applied to wine, with a special focus on wines from Tuscany. Students will analyze the wine markets of the world, consumer segments, companies’ communication and hospitality strategies and will participate in a practical exercise designed to give them the opportunity to shape an online marketing plan for a prestigious Tuscan winery. In addition, students will learn the importance of describing the sensory experience of wine and acquire the particular vocabulary necessary to describe wines from Tuscany to potential customers.
Please Note: this is explicitly, emphatically not a tasting course. There is absolutely no requirement to try any wine for full credit in this course.
Objectives By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Explain the basic role, processes, and purpose of digital brand management in the wine business
- Compare and differentiate the concepts of social media marketing, email marketing, branded content, online reputation
- Explain the basics of wine promotion strategies
- Identify and classify wines from Tuscany
- Develop skills needed to taste wines and to understand the role of describing the sensory experience on market positioning using a particular vocabulary
Course descriptions may be subject to occasional minor modifications at the discretion of the instructor.